St Michael's Church is situated in the most convenient and accessible spot. Erected on a triangular site at the junction of Stade Street and Portland Road and adjacent to the Town Bridge, it cannot escape the notice of the passer-by. Lovingly referred to as the 'tin tabernacle' (or 'Tin Tab') because of its timber frame and corrugated iron construction, it is one of the few survivors of 'temporary' or prefabricated buildings erected at the end of the Victorian era.
At this time Hythe was developing fast; many hundreds of houses were built on the sea side of the Royal Military Canal – Victoria Road, Albert Road, Ormonde Road, Park Road – to which working class families were attracted to move because of their modest cost (most of them were let on weekly tenancies rather than purchases). The Church saw a need to provide services for this influx and, for a time, 'mission type' services were held in the school. The vicar cherished his idea of building a place of worship for those who were unable to attend St Leonard's, and this was made possible by two generous gifts: an offer to pay for the building by a former vicar, the Reverend F.T. Scott, and the provision of a site liberally presented by the Watts family.
In 1893 matters moved swiftly. An appeal for funds to furnish the church met with generous response. The 'iron' church, as it was referred to in those days, was ordered and erected within months. Described as a 'pretty building', it was intended to seat about 280 people. A Mr Andrews promised an altar to be made from oak grown on his own land, and this is still in use. However, the original wooden pews have been replaced by more comfortable chairs, the gas lighting has been replaced by electricity; gone also are the coke stove and the nice two-manual organ (now in St Peter's Church, Canterbury). They also now have a carpeted floor!
The opening of the church took place on Tuesday 19 September 1893 when the Archdeacon of Maidstone dedicated it to St Michael and All Angels. Since then it has been lovingly used and was restored for its centenary, celebrated in 1993 with special services, a flower festival, tea parties, etc. Throughout its 106-year history, regular Sunday and weekday services, as well as Sunday School classes for children, have provided opportunity for thousands of worshippers who would not find it possible to get to St Leonard's. St Michael's is also in regular use as a venue for secular events such as talks and meetings; indeed it is almost a second 'church hall' within the parish. The building, though not pretentious, always surprises visitors by its homely yet dignified interior. It stands witness to the generosity of many people, the faith of those who use it, and, to those who pass by, that the Church is alive and relevant to the community of Hythe.
Tin tabernacles were a cheap alternative to churches, built by the Victorians to cope with swelling congregations at home and abroad. The churches were ordered as flat-packs; companies all over the country were able to provide the kit. (See www.tintabernacles.co.uk for more information.)